Friday, March 2, 2012

It keeps rolling on...

After I had my biopsy I actually felt quite tense, a little anxious and a little flustered.  I thought that going back to the hotel would not be the smartest idea as sitting down and doing nothing would merely intensify my negative emotions as I would have plenty of time to ponder the procedure.  Instead I decided to distract myself by ascending the Sears Tower (ST).  Sorry, the Willis Tower.  Oh who cares, whatever it's called if you take my advice you'll go no where near it.

Yes, I was severely disappointed.  If you visit Chitown and have a hankering to scale a tall building may I suggest the John Hancock building (JH).  I will elaborate:-


  1. The only win for ST is it's higher.
  2. Elevators. JH has the fastest lifts in the northern hemisphere.  The express elevators in the ST were broken.  The trip to the top was three lifts.  If felt like someone promising you a ride in an Astin Martin DB9 and then turning up in a Toyota Kluger.
  3. The view is better from the JH.  It is on the peripheral of the city so you can see the whole city, it is also closer to the water so you get better lake views too.
  4. JH has a coffee shop and bar at the top.  ST does not.
  5. JH had better off window displays.
  6. JH had an informative and interesting audio tour even if it was by David Schwimmer.  ST did not.
  7. ST did have the glass floor experience, but the JH had an outside area so you could really experience the height of the tower.
Now my experience may have been skewed because I had only two hours before had a stick in my arse.  But even in hindsight, the JH was way better.  After I finally descended the structure I sat down for a well earned coffee before I caught up with friends where we had dinner at the Bedford Bar, which was very nice.  Then we went and watched some country and western music.  Normally I am not a fan of C and W, but here they just do it so much better.  The musicians were extremely talented.

On another note, I got the results of my bone marrow test and they were all good, so I don't have cancer and I am all go for next tuesday.  Next time I will post my pictures atop the ST, until then, stay well:)

6 comments:

  1. Andrew, did they do a nerve biopsy? How was it? bone marrow test? Did they actually puncture in bone marrow? MaryB

    ReplyDelete
  2. No they did not do a nerve biopsy. If they insisted I would reluctantly agree, but a nerve biopsy is just a diagnostic exercise and I really don't think it is that necessary. I think some doctors just do it because they are inquisitive when there is no real clinical benefit. I believe there are two elements to treating CIDP. First, stop the body attacking the nerves and second, get the damaged nerves to repair. A nerve cannot repair if it is surgically removed.

    As I said in my blog, theBMB was not great, you wouldn't do it for fun, but it wasn't that bad either. It was more uncomfortable than painful. Yes, they do puncture the bone marrow. THey put a needle in and withdraw a sample about an inch long that is quite narrow. It is worse than it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does it rank compared to a spinal tap? I've had one of those before. - Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO SO SO GLAD TO HEAR THE GOOD REPORT!!! Yea, no cancer! Onward!!
    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Aston Doogie Howser and the Volante version too. Could be worse though you know some manufacturer's have a lot to answer for!!!

    ReplyDelete