Friday, March 23, 2012

Headache

And not just the normal run on the mill headache.  I'm talking about the worst blinding, mind numbingly nauseating headache you could possibly imagine and it was caused by the IVIG I had on Monday.  This one was especially hard because I felt like it had passed me by.  On Tuesday I felt fine.  Wednesday morning I felt fine, so I honestly thought that the IVIG headache had decided not to crash the party this month.

Just to clarify.  IVIG headaches are tricky.  Sometimes they just don't turn up.  You dodge the bullet and get to carry on as normal.  Sometimes you feel it coming and can get on top of it early with the right cocktail of medication.  And sometimes it just turns up with a vengeance and there is nothing you can do accept medicate and retreat to a quiet dark room with a cool towel wrapped around your head.

So Wednesday morning, feeling fine I decided to go to the museum of science and industry.  I got there at 9.30 and I had a great time up until about 12.00.  Then I felt it.  It starts off small and slowly starts to crescendo until you are totally and utterly incapacitated.  Without any meds with me I went to the cafe and got myself a drink.  Sometimes hydrating can help, but today it didn't.

There was one thing left to do.  Get back to the hotel, medicate, quiet dark room and a wet towel.  So I got in a cab and headed home.  That cab ride was awful.  By the time I got home I was nauseated and suffering tunnel vision.  I got back to my room just in time to fill the toilet with a delightful shade of green.  Sort of like the river on St Patricks day.

After that it was time to medicate which included Zofran to combat the nausea, then panadol and neurofen to deal with the pain.  Then, quiet dark room and a wet towel.  The other thing that happens is your energy is completely drained.  So I lay down on the bed and when I awoke it was 6.00pm and I felt a bit better.  Today, I am just tired, but I guarantee you this, if I go out I'm taking my meds with me.  Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment