Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Field Museum

Before I tell you about the Field Museum which I visited yesterday I just want to tell you something of a more personal nature.  Tomorrow I will be joined by my wife for a week.  And I am really looking forward to it.  Sure these days you are never quite as alone given the communication tools available (Skype, FaceTime, etc) but you still can't beat that personal contact.  I have missed my wife and I have missed my family and having my wife here will be very comforting.  However, there is a downside.  Never have both my wife and I been away from our kids for this length of time and when we have we have never been more than a couple of hours drive away.  I understand that I have to do this, but I do feel guilty dragging my wife half way across the planet and away from the people that need her most just to be with me.

Well now onto the Field Museum.  As far as Chicago museums go I'm batting 2 for 2 now.  All the exhibits were great.  The only problem was there was not enough hours in the day and I only got to see about a third of the place.  But, if the remaining two thirds are as good as the first I am in for a real treat if I go back.

I did make one mistake however.  I decided to pay a little extra to see the Mummy and Genghis Kahn exhibits and although they were both fantastic, educational and informative I could have spent more time in other exhibits that were just as good and required no extra funding.  I have to say I loved the exhibit on the Native American Indians.  If you're going to learn about that it is always best to go straight to the source.  And there would be nowhere closer to the source than the heartland of the American mid-west.

In all, it was a fantastic museum and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit.  Tomorrow I will tell you about the visit I had to the science and industry museum.  Until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment